Skip to main content

A Funeral for 2018


I LOVE New Years. Not just because I live in Las Vegas, and it's absolutely amazing to celebrate here, but because I love the energy. So many people take the New Year as their shot to better themselves. To strive for goals they thought were too big earlier in the year. Nothing is too big, no dream too far, no car too expensive. Lots of us take our goals, our dreams, and hopes and send them out to the universe and anyone who will listen with so much love, excitement, appreciation, and gratitude for the life that could be and that puts us all in a place to take leaps and bounds towards it. Energetically, this is a beautiful time to be aware of all the possibilities for everyone!


USUALLY, I'm right there with the life changers. Talking about a New Year and a New Me. Ready to make resolutions to eat healthily, stop smoking, get more fit, make more money. You know, whatever my focus is at the time. But this time, I have a new plan for myself. First off-it's to reflect.


The last 2 years were unbelievably rough. I went from the most confident I had ever been, my personal business and brand growing faster than I could have planned, I was very happy with my personal appearance, I was building new friendships and relationships and all of that I saw continuing and moving forward for years to come! Then, somehow I diverted to a path where I was all alone and anything but successful. But during all of that loss, the most amazing thing in the world happened to me. I became a mother. But the becoming part deeply broke me down.


Pregnancy was so hard. I had pregnant friends before, and I knew it was difficult. Morning sickness seemed rough (at best), it looked like walking and standing up was a struggle, but everyone seemed to survive through it and had this beautiful "glow" about it. For me, I LITERALLY thought I was going to die. It was so painful. I could barely eat for months, I was losing more than I was gaining and I was absolutely terrified for the life that was growing inside of me. Nothing worked for the morning sickness, not crackers, not random candies, teas or anything from the drug store. NOTHING. It was horrible. I couldn't even get out of bed, and I wouldn't take anything unless it was absolutely certain to not have any effect on the baby. One day, we accidentally found that Benedryl not only helped with an allergy I was having and safe but stopped my morning sickness long enough for me to finish a meal and get to sleep.  Thank God I had the most amazing Doctor and Nurses that found something that worked for me, I ended up having to be prescribed Phenergan which eventually helped me keep food down and feel like a human again. My Mom is literally the MVP of my pregnancy, she was the only person who was here for us while I was struggling and broken pretty much every day of my entire pregnancy. I always hear people say, you really find out who your friends are and who's there for you when you are truly down and out, and I will never forget how hard my Mom worked, and continues to work to make sure that everything is taken care of.

Fast Forward to a few months ago, I have this amazing happy little boy who is the entire light of my life and I couldn't be happier. BUT, the rest of my life in my eyes was in shambles, my self-image was hidden in the dark under a rock, I didn't even remember what a career was like and my brand was completely non-existent. This is where step two came in-find a tribe & make a plan. I realized I could not stay down, and I needed to find a new tribe to help lead me towards a plan and what life is supposed to look like now.


I started joining mom groups, trying to figure out what everyone else did at this point. I felt like it wasn't possible for me to live my life like I used to. It wasn't appropriate for a mom to wear form-fitting clothes, enjoy living in a city like Vegas, or show how proud I was of myself on social media because "Moms just don't do that." I had to look like a mom, do mom things, and hide my mom hips. It was really weird for me to jump into these communities and find that most of them, instead of building each other up, they looked like they kind of enjoyed tearing each other down and passing pretty mean judgment. A lot of the moms I met were really cool, but the vibe of the groups as a whole just really ruined it all for me. So...I decided to scrub ALL of that because none of that resonated with me and I don't want a tribe or anyone around me that wants to tear down on someone for doing the best that they can. So, I went at it alone. It has really been a struggle digging myself out of this hole, but thanks to a beautiful Christmas and all these amazing New Years energies I am so happy to finally feel like a me I am proud of. I get to stay home and watch this amazing human develop before my eyes and I realize that the only things I have to change about our lives now are the things that just don't fit anymore and aren't for our best interest or the best interest of those involved.



Step Three ends my 2018 - A New Year, but not a new me. More like the actual me or a more authentic me. After reading an Instagram post from @QueenNaija I really dug deep and realized that everything that I was feeling was self-inflicted. I wasn't being myself on social media, in my blog or with the world not because anyone told me I needed to be different, but because I had these thoughts and ideas about myself that were so negative and judgemental that I thought I needed to hide myself and be different...but in reality I've become an even doper version of myself since becoming a mother and a few stretch marks, mom hips, and lack of a tribe isn't going to stop me from doing what I set out to do to begin with. My goal has always been to be of service to as many people as I can, and I can only do that by being the best me I can be.


So, 2018 is ending in a funeral. It's the death of all those thoughts and ideas I had that were negative about myself and about how I needed to act and a coming back to myself. I'm lighting a candle for all that negative judgment I was holding onto and letting it go forever, and you are SO welcome to join me! Send me an email, DM on social media (@nikkionvegas everywhere) or comment down below and I'll light a candle for you too and we can send away all of our negativity with the closing of 2018.


2019 for me, is going to be going right back to focusing on helping people take the vacations they always wanted to and SO much more like speaking out on everything I've been going through in the hopes it helps someone going through some of the same. So, hit the subscribe button, and follow all of my social media pages to make sure you stay up to date with what's going on and how I plan on helping you start taking the vacations you deserve.


Comment - Share - Subscribe 

Sending you all light and love all 2019,
-Nikki


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Throw Back: That one time I competed in a pageant

Once upon a time, what seems like a long time ago I decided I wanted to be a beauty queen. It was definitely an experience I will never forget and I finally have the chance to tell you all about it! I've always known that I wanted to help people in some way, and one day it dawned on me if I had a crown that would definitely give me a much louder voice to speak on issues I thought were important. So, I went searching for what I thought was the best pageant for me and I landed on Miss Nevada USA 2016. The only thing I knew about pageants at this point was from the Miss Congeniality movie and what I heard about from my cousin's social media pages. So from that, I thought it was going to be a breeze...PSYCH! It was probably the most grueling process of self-discovery I've ever put myself through. My first step was figuring out how much all of this was going to cost. For me, it was a ridiculous amount that I just wasn't going to be able to make at my day job in

Let's Go Sailing: Cruising With a Toddler

Cruising with Carnival has become a yearly thing for my mom and I, and this year we extended the tradition a generation by bringing my 1-year-old with us. We went for a 4 day, Halloween cruise from Long Beach with 2 stops - Catalina Island and Ensenada, Baja California. Here's a rundown on going on a cruise with a toddler! First off, we drove from Las Vegas all the way to the Long Beach Terminal so the first leg of our trip was a 4+ hour car ride. I made sure we were fully stocked for the ride over so we wouldn't have to make too many stops and make the ride any longer. Turns out we didn't need anything I packed for the ride because he slept for about 3 1/2 hours and was completely content with his tablet, a juice box, and some cheez-its when he woke up. 🤦🏾‍♀️🤷🏾‍♀️ We decided to check our bags instead of dragging them through the ship because we just knew we wanted to grab some food and explore before going back to the room. That means we had to have everythi

Locals I Love: Angelic Frequency With Frances Urtaza

Welcome to my first edition of Locals I Love! This is going to be a weekly series I run where I will feature local people, businesses and services that are amazing, aiding our community and I think we should all know more about. To start this all off, I couldn't think of anyone whose commitment to the community I admire more than my very own mother, Frances Urtaza ! Frances is a local Reiki Master, Seraphim Blueprint instructor, facilitator, divine channel, crystal enthusiast, and the worlds most amazing mother (and a cool Mom at that) just to name a few things she does. She has aided hundreds in our local area through meditations, energetic shares, teaching classes on the different modalities she uses and by being a sympathetic and understanding shoulder to lean on and an ear to listen. Once a month, she gifts to anyone available a free phone in guided meditation and energetic share where everyone can call in and have a moment to unwind, relax and tune in to a higher fr

I'M BACK!! 2021 - VEGAS - TWITCH - AND BEYOND

  Hello everyone and WELCOME BACK to the Nikki On Vegas Blog! I am SO happy to be back and have so much to update you on!  I have been away for a LONG WHILE and wanted to come back with an update on all things NikkiOnVegas. Last time I was here we were talking about my Disney+, Netflix, and Hulu favorites, What's going on in Vegas, and how the death of George Floyd and resulting Black Lives Matter protests, national response and more was affecting me personally. So let's dig right back in on all that plus what I've been up to since the last time we spoke... VEGAS: We've definitely been on a wild ride. As a city built on tourism, we had a HARD time with the shutdown and now trying to re-build...but good news Vegas lovers - All signs point to a rapidly returning Vegas! It's definitely different now, as we've got to do our part to keep everyone safe but it is still VERY Vegas. Social Distancing and masks are very much enforced and minimized capacity has been strict

Road Trippin & Travel Tips

On The Road Again... Today we just had to take a minute and get the hell outta Dodge(Vegas) and see some nature! We decided to head over to our neighbor state, Arizona, and take a gander at the Colorado River from far...far away.  I used to HATE road trips when I was younger. I think it started with a bus ride from New Mexico, up to Washington state and I was officially over road travel. But, now that I spend so much time at home with my little, it's SO nice to get out of the house and go ANYWHERE, even if that means us in the back seat for a while.  Vegas through to Boulder City to Willow Beach was not a long drive at all and scenic AF. If you are heading this way (for lottery tickets for example) you gotta stop at Chilly Jilly's in Boulder City. They have THE BEST chicken!! The steak fries are bomb, the dole whip was bomb...they just rock as a whole and I fully recommend checking them out on the way there or back to town. Look for the super dope vintage R

The Women of Las Vegas: The Monat Monarchs

Meet the Monat Monarchs A group of women after my whole heart! The Monat Monarchs is a Las Vegas-based group of powerful boss babes spreading uplifting messages of gratitude, growth, and grace through connecting women all over our community and fueled by the Monat Premium Hair and Skin Products. Monat is a brand that has put their consumers first at every available opportunity. During this pandemic, their production team has made a focus on creating hand sanitizer gel to add to every order placed on April 7th for 15 days. They didn't stop there, they are also sending out 40,000 bottles of hand sanitizer gel to children's services organizations, homeless shelters, and community centers on the front lines across America and Canada. View this post on Instagram We're making hand sanitizer gel! Addressing the recent shortage of hand sanitizer amidst the #COVID19 pandemic, our diligent manufacturing team is temporar

The Crown and Sash - Quick April Photoshoot & Update

This year has been full of unexpected twists and turns. For me, it went from the excitement of watching my son turn 2 and all the development and fun that comes with it, deciding to compete in the Ms. Nevada Regency International Pageant and winning the title, and then the entire world getting rocked by the Coronavirus. While we are all staying safe by staying home, we've also found unique ways to stay connected and support each other while showing respect and love to everyone on the front lines keeping us safe, healthy and providing the services we need. I've spent this time doing a lot of learning! From pulling my guitar out for the first time in YEARS and taking advantage of the 3 Months of free classes offered by Fender , to taking classes offered through the Clark County Library District to improve on skills I need to bring my business back better than ever when we are safe. I've even taken a course from Yale on the Science of Wellbeing. But most of all, I'v

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Someone asked me how I was doing, and that was the first time I took a moment to reflect on how I was actually feeling outside of complete outrage.  I'm tired. I'm in anguish. I'm completely depleted. I'm overwhelmed and grieving. In a revolving state of being overtaken by incredible sadness to unbeleivably angry. I'm not ok. I wish things were better. https://t.co/lYhiqi7cML — Nikki On Vegas (@NikkiOnVegas) June 5, 2020 It's unbelievable to me that Black lives are still being lost at the hands that are meant to protect and serve us, without cause, and in most cases without punishment deserving of the crime. Then those officers are protected and shielded from any punishment by the same institution that systematically oppresses Black people. The duty to Protect and Serve that  should  be upheld by all officers does not count when it comes to Black people. The unjust murders of Eric Garner, Michael Brown, Philando Castile, Tamir Rice, Freddie Gray, and now Georg

Ms. Nevada Regency International: Tea with the Queens at Cafe Lola

This week, the Nevada Regency International Queens and I shared my first EVER appearance in my sash and crown! I am BEYOND excited to start along my journey as Ms. Nevada Regency International 2020.  We had an incredible theme of Breakfast at Tiffany's where I got to wear my favorite little black dress and keep my hair up under my crown. Cafe Lola was an amazing host, and had an amazing spread with a variety of teas and little snacks. Along with the beautiful spread, fit for a Queen and any princess tea party I could ever imagine, they are also SUCH a beautiful place to grab some unique photos. In different area's of the cafe they have flower walls, props, a phone booth and more! I loved this phone booth and would love to come back just to sip some tea and do another photoshoot right in here! Thank you so much to the Nevada Regency International Pageant, and Cafe Lola for this amazing afternoon!  Would you like to host the

Kid Friendly Vegas: Kangamoo

I have a one-year-old! Life is BANANAS! To celebrate my young King's first birthday, we took him to Kangamoo indoor playground. Here's how it went. This place is HUGE. I was shook once I walked in and tried to find the bathroom through what felt like miles of padded kid-wonderland. I didn't do too much exploring of the big kid area, and I made it a point not to go when they were having a special event but according to their facebook page, this place is lit! Every Thursday 4:30-5:30 they have a character come by and play around with the kids (perfect photo op), Wednesday is arts and crafts day 10AM-12, Balloon Animals and face paint every Friday 2-4, and Musical Story Time on Tuesday 10AM-12. All other times Mon - Fri 9am-7pm and Sat-Sun 9AM-5PM is open play time. Now, back to my nugget. I think he had a BLAST! This was his first time playing outside of our home and having so many options for new things to touch. It was ADORABLE. His attention span is one thing