Skip to main content

Top 7 Mistakes Las Vegas Tourists Make


Las Vegas, where the world comes to play. The rich and famous blend into the background and everyone can become anyone they want. It's an exciting place, bound to give you some of the best memories of your life... but before you start planning your trip, check out this list of Top 7 Mistakes Las Vegas Tourists Make:


Micromanagement:

8am spa package, 10:30 brunch, 11:15-3pm walk the strip, 3pm-4pm get ready for dinner, 4pm-6pm gamble, 6pm-7:30 dinner and cocktails…..you get my drift. The absolute worst thing you can do for yourself and your vacation crew is micromanaging every minute and hour of the day. Vegas is the home of spontaneity. You are missing out on the best of the city if you’re planning like this. Plan the big stuff, your upscale dinner reservations, shows, and guest lists or bottles but let everything else come as it will…because it WILL come. All you are doing is stressing yourself out when it takes you 5 extra minutes to get your hair done, or your party wants to take a selfie with Elvis (because he’s always in the building). Don’t sweat it! Big tip - plan to arrive at your shows a little early to get your seat and drinks before the good stuff starts, but your favorite DJs don't get started the minute the doors open so don't sweat that one as much if you have purchased tickets and have guaranteed entry.


Ignore their Concierge Service:

Their entire goal is to make sure you knock off everything on your “To Do” list, to include finding tickets to that sold out show of KA and reservations at Giada's you’ve been dying to get into! They are usually right on the casino floor, or a quick phone call away from your room. If you book your hotel through me, I can also help you with anything you need as well as your concierge! That’s a 2 for 1 vacation planning tag team knockout!


Dismiss Casino Loyalty Cards:

If you gamble, this is a mistake. For every dollar you gamble, you get points that can be used toward dining, entertainment, or your stay. The more you gamble, the more valuable you are to the casinos and the higher up you move through the Tier system then your points and time become more valuable. My Dad and Step-Mom do not come to Vegas that often, but they make sure to always use their players cards.  They get front of the line and other VIP amenities just for their Tier level. Married couples can also tie together their cards for a simplified points system.


No Extra Room In Suitcase:

We have some of the most amazing shopping centers in the country. From the wildly Luxurious Shops at Crystals with Louis Vuitton to Jimmy Choo, to the “Everything 9.99 or Less” shops all over the strip and downtown LV. Not to mention Certified Ave Boutique where you can pick up the latest urban trends. You are BOUND to find something you just HAVE to have. Plan ahead to bring at most half as much back with you as you brought. To avoid extra baggage charges at the airport, go ahead and bring your large suitcase and ensure you are able to check a bag and carry on a small bag/tote. Even if you don’t fill both bags, it’s better than buying an extra $200 for a piece luggage while you are leaving, and $300 for an extra bag check at the airport.


Bad Timing:

While a midweek trip to Vegas is going to be easier on your wallet, you also miss out on some of our epic night/day life, some shows, and restaurants.  If you are a club goer looking for a midweek escape, you will only have a few options including the standard hotel bars in the winter and early spring months …but some of these places end up being a great time themselves! Just make sure you know when your clubs/events/shows are dark so you don’t plan your trip while they are closed.  Conventions and events also play a huge role in the costs of everything. If you come during Magic Fashion Week, iHearRadio Festival or a Golden Knights game prices are forced way up so keep that in mind when setting dates. An almost $600 stay for 3 nights in a standard room is avoidable when planned accordingly.

​
Underestimating Distance:

One end of the strip-Stratosphere, CCLV and SLS is WORLDS away from the rest! You CAN walk it, but it gets pretty slow after you pass the Wynn going towards SLS. The Rio and Palms are MAD FAR! It’s an easy cab ride but that walk is brutal and in the dead of the Winter/Summer the temperature is EXTREME.  DTLV, and the Fremont Street Experience is NOT in walking distance AT ALL. I will never advise or suggest you walk that. It is far, and you will NOT be happy about it. Be careful when advertisers say “minutes from the Las Vegas Strip” this does NOT mean you could or should walk there, but it will be a quick and easy taxi or uber.


But I don’t even like The Strip:

There could be several reasons you don’t like the Strip. You are annoyed by all the gaming and people not paying attention to where they are walking, smoking everywhere and general touristy attractions. Easy fix, we have several boutique and specialized hotels with absolutely NO casinos, no smoking, and private entrances. Vdara, Four Seasons, Signature, Palms Place, Westin, Hilton and that’s just a few! There are SO many shows Salt-n-Pepa's I Love The 90's, Jabbawockeez, Britney Spears, Boys II Men, Absinthe, Magic Shows...this list is endless! World-class spas, exhilarating hiking, restaurants, roller coasters, get up close and personal with animals... and you just can't beat the view, the vibe, and the experience. There's so much more than gambling and partying. DTLV is a whole new ballgame and spreads so much further than just the Fremont street experience! The Gold Spike is hidden in DTLV (dress to impress) and has all kinds of activities only for the fun seekers. There are gems all over the place, and if you are one of the “I don’t like the strip” vacationers, hunting for these can wind up being the best vacation you’ve ever had! Depending on what your version of entertainment is, or what kind of downtime you are looking for, WE GOT IT ON LOCK. It’s what we do.

Want to get my insider discounts? Head to my BOOKING page to get them sent straight to you. Need help planning your trip? I offer travel advisement so we can put together your perfect vacation free of charge, fill out the form HERE and expect to hear back from me ASAP!


Do you have any stories about things you wish you would have known before coming to Vegas? Leave a comment down below!

Make sure you share this post on your facebook/twitter feeds so you can keep your friends from making these costly mistakes.

Comment - Share - Subscribe

- Nikki


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Throw Back: That one time I competed in a pageant

Once upon a time, what seems like a long time ago I decided I wanted to be a beauty queen. It was definitely an experience I will never forget and I finally have the chance to tell you all about it! I've always known that I wanted to help people in some way, and one day it dawned on me if I had a crown that would definitely give me a much louder voice to speak on issues I thought were important. So, I went searching for what I thought was the best pageant for me and I landed on Miss Nevada USA 2016. The only thing I knew about pageants at this point was from the Miss Congeniality movie and what I heard about from my cousin's social media pages. So from that, I thought it was going to be a breeze...PSYCH! It was probably the most grueling process of self-discovery I've ever put myself through. My first step was figuring out how much all of this was going to cost. For me, it was a ridiculous amount that I just wasn't going to be able to make at my day job in...

Safety 101: 5 Tips for Solo Travel to Las Vegas

Getting your whole crew together to come party with you in Vegas can be a challenge! Everyone has a reason to miss out on this trip, whether it's budget, timing, childcare, etc. Sometimes, you have to just catch a flight and take a vacation by yourself! This can be the best time you've ever had, but you have more safety concerns when you're solo than when you're with a crew. Here are some safety tips to keep in mind on your next solo outing in Las Vegas. Stay In Public Areas Las Vegas is among the most popular tourist destinations in America. We do everything we can to make sure your stay is safe, and you feel secure. You can't get into the hotel elevators at most resorts unless you have a room key, Las Vegas Blvd (the Strip) and the Fremont Street Experience are lined with on-duty police officers, and each hotel has their own trained security staff ready to aid any situation (even labor!). Some of our best venues are off the strip. For this, I recommend taking...

Vegas Bound: Halloween Week 2019

I love every reason to let my inner spook out, so the ENTIRE month of October is an all-out celebration for me! If you're here, you must be getting ready to spend your Halloween in Las Vegas and I could NOT be more excited for you. Whether you are a Las Vegas Local, or here for the weekend, Las Vegas is one of the most amazing places in the world for entertainment, and to take a nice relaxing (or turnt) vacation. As much as Vegas has the reputation to be an Adults only trip, we have tons of spooktacular events for the whole family to enjoy. If you are heading to Las Vegas to celebrate Halloween, check out the hotel rooms available from my team. We can get rates up to 30% lower than nationally advertised rates all year round, even on national holidays. And when you book with me, you get the option of having me personally help you plan out your vacation specifics and help to manage any last-minute emergencies. A few tips if you are coming through for the costume contests. V...

Beauty Moment: What's In My Makeup Bag

This is a new one for me, but as a state titleholder in the Beauty world, it's about time I get sharing what's going on in my makeup bag. I always love seeing these posts on Youtube and in the Blog-sphere and I got a whole new kit that I've been loving so I figured now is the perfect time to share my first Makeup Bag spill. This cute bag I probably got from Ipsy and has been holding some of my new additions. PRIMER: I kind of consider primer as part of my skincare prep routine, but it's in my makeup bag so here we go! I always jump between primers but right now, my go-to is Smashbox The Original Photo Finish Smooth & Blur.   CONCEALER: When I start slipping on my self-care, my skin is the FIRST thing to tell everyone how stressed out I am! Because of that, I've been stockpiling an arsenal of concealer to keep my skin issues on the low. It Cosmetics has the perfect shade to blend with my skin tone in their Bye Bye Under Eye full coverage anti-a...

Beauty Moment: Belle Beauty 'Shero - Shadow Stick'

Shadow sticks are starting to become a necessity in my makeup go-bag. Most days when I'm getting ready something happens and I'm left with 1/2 the time I need to finish my makeup, or even worse I have to finish in the car when I get there! For those kinds of moments, I LOVE shadow sticks. This Shadow Stick from Belle Beauty by Kim Gravel in Pink Champagne is the latest edition to my go-bag. We got this one in a kit from QVC, and I'm sure you can order directly from the Belle Beauty website . I am loving this right now because it's such a quick and easy way to level up my look by adding that shimmer I love to my lid and the easy to use stick means I can level up anywhere at any time. It has a really easy to apply soft consistency that you can just blend with your finger or go in with brushes if you feel the need. It has a really simple twist up top so you'll never need a sharpener, and I know they say to never do this, but I twisted it all the way to see...

Streaming: Disney and Pixar's 'Onward'

Disney+ dropped some blessings for us during this quarantine and I am so grateful! Since Social Distancing made it hard for us to safely go see 'Onward' in theatres when it came out last month, Disney and Pixar gave us a quarantine present and dropped it for us to stream from home WAY earlier than expected on Disney+! With 50 Million or more of us holding on tightly to our Disney+ subscriptions, let's all watch this one with or without the kids. IMDB “While we’re looking forward to audiences enjoying our films on the big screen again soon, given the current circumstances, we are pleased to release this fun, adventurous film to digital platforms early for audiences to enjoy from the comfort of their homes,” said Dan Scanlon (Director, “Onward”) and Kori Rae (Producer, “Onward”).¹ We've been socially distancing in my household for a bit longer than nationally directed, so we weren't able to see this in theaters. I play a cute Disney game with my son, ...

Vegas Bound: January 2020 Guide

Welcome to 2020! May this year bring you all the things you have set out for yourself. Hopefully, that includes lots of Vegas time. This list does not include everything that is happening here regularly like the Cirque du solei shows, the daily free shows, sights and things like that. I've just got the big and noteworthy things that are here for the moment and all the club events I could stand to type up. If you are planning a vacation or staycation, book your hotel with my team. We keep rates 20%-30% off nationally advertised rates. I also have rates in cities outside of Las Vegas, so check with us for all of your hotel needs. As of right now, I'm looking at weekend rates of $73 per night+ taxes and fees at the Planet Hollywood for their standard rooms (Ultra Hip King). If a budget is not how you do Vegas, I recommend the Ultra Panorama Suite at $676 per night +taxes and fees. Check the rates for your travel dates, and book with me today. Here's what we have going...

4 Week Fitness: Week 3

Welcome to week 3! We are at the halfway mark and moving past it with a FORCE ! We've got this far and we owe it to ourselves to push through and finish these last 2 weeks. I am already SO PROUD OF US ! Now is the time to lock in our rewards. Whether you are coming to party with me in Vegas for the opening of Encore Beach Club or splurging at your favorite local spot for a stay-cation, do it BIG ! You have earned it . This is a mirror of week 1. I think it's important for our bodies to get at least a little comfortable with the movements we are doing so that we can get the most out of these workouts! Last year, we talked about fitness inspiration and the destructive energy I used to attach to fitspo and why I think I never really kept up with a fitness routine. For me, the energy and the attitude that is behind anything I do is HUGE. I am at the point where I chose, if something doesn't vibe right with me, I'm just not doing it. I would DREAD doing the things...

The Women Of Las Vegas: With Love Reiki from Sheila

Meet Sheila Sclafani-Cook As a Usui/Holy Fire® III, Karuna Reiki®Master, and a Seraphim Blueprint practitioner, Sheila Sclafani-Cook is a local treasure. Her path through Spirituality has connected her with Spirit and she is guided to support others on the healing path through meditations, classes, Reiki sessions or bringing others to the way of Reiki by teaching Reiki to them. With Love Reiki and Healing was founded to create a place where people can come to allow their soul to breathe. Through this time of Social Distancing, I've been getting my much-needed meditations and Reiki healing from her Youtube channel where we can all tune in at no charge and get regularly updated Reiki distance healing. I first met Sheila through one of my Mom's meditations at Enchanted Forest, and when I was going through a really confusing time in my life I went to her to get a Reiki session. To say it was amazing is an understatement! It was exactly what I needed to get m...

Vegas for Christmas

When we think of a holiday vacation, we don't really put Vegas and Christmas together in one sentence unless it also involves a Batchelor party. I'm here to challenge that with 3 reasons you should hit Vegas for the holidays that DON'T include the partying, gambling, drinking, and year-round Vegas events. HOLIDAY FEAST There are very few places in the world you can hop around a 3-mile area and have a meal from celebrity chefs and world-class foodie favorites. Not to even mention what feels like "regular" to locals, but is still a top reason thousands flock to the city regardless of the season: ALL YOU CAN EAT BUFFETS! For the holidays we go all out and tend to have a price tag to match, but a staple in inexpensive and AMAZING is Ellis Island. Just trust me. Your hotel's cafe will also have reasonable prices! Here's a short list of "OMG you've gotta eat here" on Christmas Night: THE BUFFET AT ARIA - $53.99 for all you can eat, endl...