Skip to main content

Throw Back: That one time I competed in a pageant


Once upon a time, what seems like a long time ago I decided I wanted to be a beauty queen. It was definitely an experience I will never forget and I finally have the chance to tell you all about it!

I've always known that I wanted to help people in some way, and one day it dawned on me if I had a crown that would definitely give me a much louder voice to speak on issues I thought were important. So, I went searching for what I thought was the best pageant for me and I landed on Miss Nevada USA 2016. The only thing I knew about pageants at this point was from the Miss Congeniality movie and what I heard about from my cousin's social media pages. So from that, I thought it was going to be a breeze...PSYCH! It was probably the most grueling process of self-discovery I've ever put myself through.

My first step was figuring out how much all of this was going to cost. For me, it was a ridiculous amount that I just wasn't going to be able to make at my day job in time for the pageant. So, I turned to crowdfunding on Go Fund Me and raising money through a local business that I loved, Silver State DJs. I am beyond blessed to have had friends and family that believed that I would do great in this pageant that I was able to raise enough money to cover the bulk of what I needed which was - the entry fee, a gown, interview outfit,  hair, makeup, coaching, headshots and other shoots, shoes, and travel from what I remember. It was a brutal price tag, but I really felt it would all be worth it to hold that coveted crown!


My next step was getting Coaching, I met with my coach as often as I could afford via skype sessions as she talked me through what my interview would be like and how I could make myself look as good as possible on paper before the pageant and my paperwork's due date. This pretty much consisted of going out and being about all of the things that I wanted to use the crown to do more of. She would always ask me something like, "What have you done since the last time we talked that would help you in this pageant." Looking back on it now, I definitely did not put myself out there as strongly as I could have before the pageant to really build up a platform, but that all comes back to the self-confidence I had before even deciding to compete. Once the time to compete got closer, I flew out to physically see my coach so she could teach me how to walk in these INSANE shoes and the difference between an evening gown walk vs the swimsuit walk.

Somewhere in here, there was orientation where we met the director, Shanna Moakler and the Queens who would be passing their crowns down. For me, it was Emelina Adams. I had been youtube re-running the pageant for WEEKS at this point so meeting these two was almost like meeting people I already knew which was really strange. This is also where we got fitted and put in our request for the opening number dress that was sponsored. This is where I got my first taste of the beauty and fashion side of the pageant world. I normally wear a dress size 9 but with all the working out and dieting I was doing I managed to knock it down 2 dress sizes...but the sponsor didn't carry my size. Like, they didn't even MAKE dresses bigger than like a 4. It was insane. And as I stood shocked, I looked to the other contestants to see if they shared my shock but what I got instead was giggles and looks like "oh you thought you could wear this?" It was horrible. They ended up just putting me down for the biggest size they had and figured that I'd work it out.

And then, it was pageant weekend. The first day we did interviews while we learned our opening number routine. All the girls were here, and while I expected the energy would be similar to the dress fittings it was actually a wildly empowering day! Every girl I had the opportunity to interact with was really sweet, incredibly helpful and women that I actually wanted to be friends with and see do well in the pageant. It was an incredibly uplifting experience. Every girl that went to do interviews would come back with tips and talk about what they asked and how they answered in attempts to help the next girl do well...it was absolutely NOTHING like what I expected. No one was low key trying to sabotage the next girl, or kill her confidence or her vibe...everyone was team everyone. It was legit beautiful. I was one of the first few interviewed because my title started with a C, so that took a lot of the pressure off of me for the rest of the day. I have super intense social anxiety, so the interview portion had me really worried! But I shouldn't have been,  the judges were all very kind in the interview and just honestly wanted to get to know me and what I'd use the title for. We also got to pick up the dresses we would be wearing for the opening number. I was horrified it wouldn't fit me, but it did! They either made me a special one or I somehow lost a dress size or two...either way I was grateful I wouldn't be the only one not on stage or in a different dress.

On the day of the stage pageant, everything that could go wrong before actually getting to the event did go wrong. My hair showed up early...and my makeup was late...like hours late. But somehow they managed to crunch together and get me ready and out the door ALMOST on time. And then we had no idea where we were going. We knew we were going to UNLV...but had no idea where the actual building I was supposed to be in was so I was walking up and down in these ridiculous heels carrying a suitcase and an evening gown, not seeing anyone and having no idea where I was supposed to be. To say I was in a panic was an understatement. I eventually figured it out and got there later than everyone else but at least I was there! I was the only one in full hair and makeup that I could tell - but it was worth it to me because I did not have the skills to do my own hair and makeup for this kind of event and you weren't allowed to have anyone in the dressing room with you. We spent all day practicing the opening number and then figuring out our stage placement and getting the timing right. We did prelims and finals on the same evening.

The preliminary round was first and everyone had to buy tickets to both events ahead of time before knowing who would go on to the finals. Everything was so fast pace I didn't even really get to enjoy the moment of having center stage in a building so many amazing performers graced before me. I was still feeling a few body issues, but I threw all that to the side and did my peppiest cute walk down the aisle for my swimsuit, and my slowest most elegant walk for the evening gown. It's so crazy how long and how much I prepared for such a short moment! We got a little bit of time before finals. After the opening number is when they announced the top 10...and I wasn't one of them.

To say I was crushed was an understatement. I felt like complete garbage, and then I was so angry for even thinking I could compete in something like this and then I just wanted to leave out of embarrassment. I went through a full course meal of self-sabotaging emotions before looking around the room and seeing the other girls that didn't get into the top - girls I was SURE would go through. Some of the girls looked even angrier or more disappointed than I felt, and other girls were too busy congratulating the girls that DID go on to even care that they didn't. And then, the teens came in and all rushed over to us asking us questions about how they did and how they walked and what looked better. I immediately got over anything I was feeling about myself and did what I could to help everyone around me still competing. This quick energy change TOTALLY changed my view and how I feel about the pageant system as a whole. Instead of being disappointed in myself, I was able to feel proud of all the girls that got through to the finals and build connections that I hope to keep for years to come.

So, at the end of it all. I did not win Miss Nevada 2016, but I DID win best in Evening Gown! That was an honor I was SURE I wasn't going home with. And I still have the trophy proudly displayed above our bookshelf. I also got to meet a ton of amazing women whose careers and lives I've watched blossom since this pageant. It is honestly an amazing, bittersweet experience that I would not take back. I feel like that might be it for me so for now, I just watch and send love from the bleachers but I'll never forget that one time I went for it myself!

Have you ever competed in a pageant before? Have any questions about my experience? Or, do you have any questions you've been dying to ask a pageant girl? Let me know down in the comments!

Comment - Share - Subscribe

- Nikki

Comments

  1. I loved reading about your experience. I always dreamed of being in a pageant but never had a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAS! You look amazing! My friend participated in a pageant and it was fun to go and watch her and support. You look great. I bet it was a fun experience

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always wanted to be in at least one pagent. Went to a couple first rounds but never made it to the next. haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Must be an experience you'll remember for life. Glad you enjoyed it. Are you thinking of joining again though?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so bad when you get different size outfit. But hey your overall journey is super. I liked reading detailed of how the emotions are and the rounds that you need to pass through. Good to know that all girls are friendly , that's the best thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved reading about your experience and journey. Very inspirational and will help others who are thinking about doing the same. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh what an experience it must have been! I have seen many tv shows or movies featuring these experiences. You look great!

    xx
    lau

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing experience! You are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like your overall journey is superb. Good to know more about you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoyed reading your experience about that Nevada pageant. One of my favorite movies is also Miss Congeniality. Don’t lose your enthusiasm on what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun experience and does not sound easy at all. good for you for taking it all on and putting yourself out there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This must have been an amazing and exciting experience. This is awesome. And you look OUTSTANDING.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i am happy to hear about your experience in the pageant. Follow your dreams ! Hope the best for you

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Thank you for sharing your experience. It was fascinating. ANd by the way, that evening gown is KILLER!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Even though you didn't win. At least you actually tried and put in the work. I'm sure it was a great experience for you. And the connections you built there will go a long way. Great Article it kept me entertained you are a great writer.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You look beautiful. Such an interesting read

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know many people dont know what being a Pageant Queen entails. This was a good read and thank you for sharing your experience! I definitely have a new and fresh point of view on the subject! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't think I would ever compete in a pageant. Having everyone staring at me while I was on stage was freak me out, but I'm so impressed by the woman who do these all the time. It seems like a lot of work and a lot of expense.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great throwback! I am happy to know about the activity and your role in it. looks like fantastic experience to remember and share again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's so cool you were able to win best evening gown. You did end up looking amazing. Sorry you didn't win the whole thing but good you were able to find something you appreciated in everything.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing this... we see contests like this so often, and now its great to see behind the scenes :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nikki - I was on edge reading about your experience (how brave of you!) but was also encouraged that you met a lot of amazing, driven women. I love hearing about women supporting women! And congrats on the Evening Gown win!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You look great in all your outfits!! You have this posture that makes you really stand out as well. Hoping to hear from your next experiences, though, if you wish to pursue more of pageants!! You look amazing!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. I really appreciate you taking the time to interact with me. I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Popular posts from this blog

Streaming: Disney and Pixar's 'Onward'

Disney+ dropped some blessings for us during this quarantine and I am so grateful! Since Social Distancing made it hard for us to safely go see 'Onward' in theatres when it came out last month, Disney and Pixar gave us a quarantine present and dropped it for us to stream from home WAY earlier than expected on Disney+! With 50 Million or more of us holding on tightly to our Disney+ subscriptions, let's all watch this one with or without the kids. IMDB “While we’re looking forward to audiences enjoying our films on the big screen again soon, given the current circumstances, we are pleased to release this fun, adventurous film to digital platforms early for audiences to enjoy from the comfort of their homes,” said Dan Scanlon (Director, “Onward”) and Kori Rae (Producer, “Onward”).¹ We've been socially distancing in my household for a bit longer than nationally directed, so we weren't able to see this in theaters. I play a cute Disney game with my son, ...

Vegas Bound: Halloween Week 2019

I love every reason to let my inner spook out, so the ENTIRE month of October is an all-out celebration for me! If you're here, you must be getting ready to spend your Halloween in Las Vegas and I could NOT be more excited for you. Whether you are a Las Vegas Local, or here for the weekend, Las Vegas is one of the most amazing places in the world for entertainment, and to take a nice relaxing (or turnt) vacation. As much as Vegas has the reputation to be an Adults only trip, we have tons of spooktacular events for the whole family to enjoy. If you are heading to Las Vegas to celebrate Halloween, check out the hotel rooms available from my team. We can get rates up to 30% lower than nationally advertised rates all year round, even on national holidays. And when you book with me, you get the option of having me personally help you plan out your vacation specifics and help to manage any last-minute emergencies. A few tips if you are coming through for the costume contests. V...

Sphynx: For The Girl On The Go

This year's Travel Goods Association 's Travel Goods Show '19 has introduced me to so many of my current favorite products! Today, we are talking about the Sphynx razor that you can use for hair removal ANYWHERE! Living in the desert makes shorts, sundresses, tank tops, surprise photo shoots and pool days a part of everyday life. Unfortunately, running around chasing a 1-year-old and taking care of everyone's vacations makes hair removal one of the last things on my to-do list! Lucky for me, I received a goodie bag from the Travel Goods Association at this year's Travel Goods Show that gave me my latest secret weapon! The Sphynx Portable Razor ! I keep this beauty in my bag at all times and it has already saved me from having to miss out on a pool day and the embarrassment of missing a spot trying to rush when wearing one of my favorite dresses. Here's how it works. This little beauty here has everything you need for a shave - a small squirt bottle ...

Safety 101: 5 Tips for Solo Travel to Las Vegas

Getting your whole crew together to come party with you in Vegas can be a challenge! Everyone has a reason to miss out on this trip, whether it's budget, timing, childcare, etc. Sometimes, you have to just catch a flight and take a vacation by yourself! This can be the best time you've ever had, but you have more safety concerns when you're solo than when you're with a crew. Here are some safety tips to keep in mind on your next solo outing in Las Vegas. Stay In Public Areas Las Vegas is among the most popular tourist destinations in America. We do everything we can to make sure your stay is safe, and you feel secure. You can't get into the hotel elevators at most resorts unless you have a room key, Las Vegas Blvd (the Strip) and the Fremont Street Experience are lined with on-duty police officers, and each hotel has their own trained security staff ready to aid any situation (even labor!). Some of our best venues are off the strip. For this, I recommend taking...

Now Streaming: 'Legacies' on Netflix Seasons 1 and 2

I love a good supernatural drama series. I was all in on the 'Vampire Diaries' for a while, and when the 'Originals' came in with what felt like a more "grown-up" storyline from the beginning, I was instantly HOOKED! It had everything I needed in a supernatural drama, but when that ended I was left in a show hole. How do you even follow up on that epic storyline, but thank the bright minds at CW they made it happen with 'Legacies'. With 'Legacies', we are tuning in to the life of Hope Mikaelson after the loss of her parents at The Salvatore School for the Young and Gifted ran by Alaric Saltzman who is firmly seated in our hearts from 'Vampire Diaries'. Alaric is the headmaster of the Salvatore School and is looking after his twin daughters who are the last living members of the Gemini Coven. This is exactly the drama series I needed to check into during this quarantine. The Salvatore School is home to the witch, werewolf and vampire ...

4 Week Fitness: Week 3

Welcome to week 3! We are at the halfway mark and moving past it with a FORCE ! We've got this far and we owe it to ourselves to push through and finish these last 2 weeks. I am already SO PROUD OF US ! Now is the time to lock in our rewards. Whether you are coming to party with me in Vegas for the opening of Encore Beach Club or splurging at your favorite local spot for a stay-cation, do it BIG ! You have earned it . This is a mirror of week 1. I think it's important for our bodies to get at least a little comfortable with the movements we are doing so that we can get the most out of these workouts! Last year, we talked about fitness inspiration and the destructive energy I used to attach to fitspo and why I think I never really kept up with a fitness routine. For me, the energy and the attitude that is behind anything I do is HUGE. I am at the point where I chose, if something doesn't vibe right with me, I'm just not doing it. I would DREAD doing the things...

Mask Monday: Peter Thomas Roth Cucumber Gel Mask

It is that wonderful time again where my skin is acting all the way out of control. This time it could be my horrible quarantine diet, stress, hormones, my 2-year-old touching God knows what then rubbing my face...the list of possibilities is endless. To combat that I'm going in the Mix, Mask & Hydrate 6 piece kit from Peter Thomas Roth that we got at an incredible value price. Today, I am tapping into the Cucumber Gel Mask. It is an Extreme Detoxifying Hydration mask that is instantly refreshing (I keep mine in the refrigerator), cooling, and a moisturizing calming gel that helps soothe dry irritated skin. I've used this mask before, and know that it works wonders on my sometimes overly sensitive skin combination skin. I feel like my skin issues are coming from clogged pores and stress, so the detoxifying bit will really help me get to the smooth skin I just know exists underneath all this drama. So, to start off I like to use a gentle cleanser to get any make...

Vegas for Christmas

When we think of a holiday vacation, we don't really put Vegas and Christmas together in one sentence unless it also involves a Batchelor party. I'm here to challenge that with 3 reasons you should hit Vegas for the holidays that DON'T include the partying, gambling, drinking, and year-round Vegas events. HOLIDAY FEAST There are very few places in the world you can hop around a 3-mile area and have a meal from celebrity chefs and world-class foodie favorites. Not to even mention what feels like "regular" to locals, but is still a top reason thousands flock to the city regardless of the season: ALL YOU CAN EAT BUFFETS! For the holidays we go all out and tend to have a price tag to match, but a staple in inexpensive and AMAZING is Ellis Island. Just trust me. Your hotel's cafe will also have reasonable prices! Here's a short list of "OMG you've gotta eat here" on Christmas Night: THE BUFFET AT ARIA - $53.99 for all you can eat, endl...

My Netflix Obsession: Chilling Adventures of Sabrina

I am loving that Netflix has original movies and series! Right now I am all caught up in The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina and am very impatiently waiting for the release info on seasons 3 and 4! Let's talk all about why this is SUCH a binge-able flick and YOU should be just as excited to catch up! So, I went into CAOS without even knowing what I was getting myself into. I thought it was a Sabrina the Teenage witch via Melissa Joan Heart spin off/reboot/remake situation...I had NO idea Archie Comics had an entire dark world that spawned my childhood fave...because I would have been obsessed YEARS ago. They took something that was sweet, innocent and wholesome, added the actual devil and a dash of sexy and I've been horrified through every episode! The series keeps all our Sabrina favorites, Sabrina herself, Harvey, Hilda and Zelda, and my always favorite Salem but with a twist and gives us some new favorites in the Weird Sisters, Ambrose Spellman and Nicholas Scratch....