Skip to main content

My Netflix Obsession: Raising Dion


My latest Netflix obsession lands right on Raising Dion. This Netflix Original is about a Widowed single mother, played by Alisha Wainwright (that I recognize from Shadow Hunters), who is doing her best to raise a son with superhuman abilities that seem to keep growing. While we are at NO shortage of superhero movies and shows right now, this one breaks the average mold by being the story of a child of color. Without giving you too many spoilers, this is why you should start binging right now.


First, second and third of all MICHAEL B. JORDAN. Thank you, and goodnight folks. That smile moves mountains and can get me to watch anything! BUT, I got caught up and sucked in before I even realized he was in this so it was a delightful bonus. Unfortunately, we learn early on in the movie that Michael's character, Mark, was killed in a storm saving someone giving us the hero factor right out of the gate. The characters of this show are SO easily loveable. Dion, played by Ja'Siah Young was so instantly endearing to me. Since I'm a single mom myself, I see my son go through life daily without superpowers and that sometimes seems hard enough! Watching Dion deal with emotions, friends, family and the hero aspect all while taking in life lessons made it so easy to quickly fall completely in love with this show. Every character from Esperanza, Dion's best friend to Pat, his God Father, finds a way to warm our hearts and root for them at one time or another.


The representation in this show is AMAZING! We already know the cast is lead by Black actors, which is phenomenal and so exciting, but we also get to experience Esperanza who is Dion's best friend (whether he knows it or not) played by Sammi Haney, a young girl in a wheelchair who has brittle bone disease*. This was my first time seeing ableism played out and it shook me so much that it opened my eyes to a way of life I definitely have never been exposed to before. While we get a small look at how Black parents have to explain to their children why they may sometimes be treated differently in a negative way, we also see how a loving gesture from one person could be crushing to the recipient. For me, this particular moment definitely made me look at the moves I make from the perspective of the person on the receiving end because sometimes it might not always be the thought that counts. 


Raising Dion gave me every emotion. I laughed...a lot! I cried, I was afraid, I was shocked and more than a few times shouted out "I did NOT see that coming!". This is a great show from every angle, filled with amazing messages and safe for the whole family. There will be a few uncomfortable topics if you have kids that are open to asking questions about difficult situations such as race issues, disabilities, and relationship boundaries but I think it's a dope way to open up perspectives and introduce ideas about humanity that you may not have exposure to in your daily life.


I can't tell you anything else! You will have to tune in on Netflix whenever it is convenient for you and stream the season. Netflix has 9 episodes available, and each and everyone deserves your full attention! So start streaming right now. Watch Raising Dion on Netflix today.

Have you already watched the entire first season? What did you think? Did you love it as much as I did? Do you have other opinions? Let me know on social media! @ me on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. I am @NikkiOnVegas on every platform. I can't wait to hear from you! Don't use social media? You can send me an email to Netflix@NikkiOnVegas.com or drop a comment down below.

Comment - Share - Subscribe

🖤 Nikki









*Quote from The Guardian article on Raising Dion* SPOILERS
**This post is not sponsored by or affiliated with Netflix. All opinions are my own**

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Throw Back: That one time I competed in a pageant

Once upon a time, what seems like a long time ago I decided I wanted to be a beauty queen. It was definitely an experience I will never forget and I finally have the chance to tell you all about it! I've always known that I wanted to help people in some way, and one day it dawned on me if I had a crown that would definitely give me a much louder voice to speak on issues I thought were important. So, I went searching for what I thought was the best pageant for me and I landed on Miss Nevada USA 2016. The only thing I knew about pageants at this point was from the Miss Congeniality movie and what I heard about from my cousin's social media pages. So from that, I thought it was going to be a breeze...PSYCH! It was probably the most grueling process of self-discovery I've ever put myself through. My first step was figuring out how much all of this was going to cost. For me, it was a ridiculous amount that I just wasn't going to be able to make at my day job in...

Vegas Bound: Halloween Week 2019

I love every reason to let my inner spook out, so the ENTIRE month of October is an all-out celebration for me! If you're here, you must be getting ready to spend your Halloween in Las Vegas and I could NOT be more excited for you. Whether you are a Las Vegas Local, or here for the weekend, Las Vegas is one of the most amazing places in the world for entertainment, and to take a nice relaxing (or turnt) vacation. As much as Vegas has the reputation to be an Adults only trip, we have tons of spooktacular events for the whole family to enjoy. If you are heading to Las Vegas to celebrate Halloween, check out the hotel rooms available from my team. We can get rates up to 30% lower than nationally advertised rates all year round, even on national holidays. And when you book with me, you get the option of having me personally help you plan out your vacation specifics and help to manage any last-minute emergencies. A few tips if you are coming through for the costume contests. V...

Streaming: Disney and Pixar's 'Onward'

Disney+ dropped some blessings for us during this quarantine and I am so grateful! Since Social Distancing made it hard for us to safely go see 'Onward' in theatres when it came out last month, Disney and Pixar gave us a quarantine present and dropped it for us to stream from home WAY earlier than expected on Disney+! With 50 Million or more of us holding on tightly to our Disney+ subscriptions, let's all watch this one with or without the kids. IMDB “While we’re looking forward to audiences enjoying our films on the big screen again soon, given the current circumstances, we are pleased to release this fun, adventurous film to digital platforms early for audiences to enjoy from the comfort of their homes,” said Dan Scanlon (Director, “Onward”) and Kori Rae (Producer, “Onward”).¹ We've been socially distancing in my household for a bit longer than nationally directed, so we weren't able to see this in theaters. I play a cute Disney game with my son, ...

Safety 101: 5 Tips for Solo Travel to Las Vegas

Getting your whole crew together to come party with you in Vegas can be a challenge! Everyone has a reason to miss out on this trip, whether it's budget, timing, childcare, etc. Sometimes, you have to just catch a flight and take a vacation by yourself! This can be the best time you've ever had, but you have more safety concerns when you're solo than when you're with a crew. Here are some safety tips to keep in mind on your next solo outing in Las Vegas. Stay In Public Areas Las Vegas is among the most popular tourist destinations in America. We do everything we can to make sure your stay is safe, and you feel secure. You can't get into the hotel elevators at most resorts unless you have a room key, Las Vegas Blvd (the Strip) and the Fremont Street Experience are lined with on-duty police officers, and each hotel has their own trained security staff ready to aid any situation (even labor!). Some of our best venues are off the strip. For this, I recommend taking...

Sphynx: For The Girl On The Go

This year's Travel Goods Association 's Travel Goods Show '19 has introduced me to so many of my current favorite products! Today, we are talking about the Sphynx razor that you can use for hair removal ANYWHERE! Living in the desert makes shorts, sundresses, tank tops, surprise photo shoots and pool days a part of everyday life. Unfortunately, running around chasing a 1-year-old and taking care of everyone's vacations makes hair removal one of the last things on my to-do list! Lucky for me, I received a goodie bag from the Travel Goods Association at this year's Travel Goods Show that gave me my latest secret weapon! The Sphynx Portable Razor ! I keep this beauty in my bag at all times and it has already saved me from having to miss out on a pool day and the embarrassment of missing a spot trying to rush when wearing one of my favorite dresses. Here's how it works. This little beauty here has everything you need for a shave - a small squirt bottle ...

Now Streaming: 'Legacies' on Netflix Seasons 1 and 2

I love a good supernatural drama series. I was all in on the 'Vampire Diaries' for a while, and when the 'Originals' came in with what felt like a more "grown-up" storyline from the beginning, I was instantly HOOKED! It had everything I needed in a supernatural drama, but when that ended I was left in a show hole. How do you even follow up on that epic storyline, but thank the bright minds at CW they made it happen with 'Legacies'. With 'Legacies', we are tuning in to the life of Hope Mikaelson after the loss of her parents at The Salvatore School for the Young and Gifted ran by Alaric Saltzman who is firmly seated in our hearts from 'Vampire Diaries'. Alaric is the headmaster of the Salvatore School and is looking after his twin daughters who are the last living members of the Gemini Coven. This is exactly the drama series I needed to check into during this quarantine. The Salvatore School is home to the witch, werewolf and vampire ...

4 Week Fitness: Week 3

Welcome to week 3! We are at the halfway mark and moving past it with a FORCE ! We've got this far and we owe it to ourselves to push through and finish these last 2 weeks. I am already SO PROUD OF US ! Now is the time to lock in our rewards. Whether you are coming to party with me in Vegas for the opening of Encore Beach Club or splurging at your favorite local spot for a stay-cation, do it BIG ! You have earned it . This is a mirror of week 1. I think it's important for our bodies to get at least a little comfortable with the movements we are doing so that we can get the most out of these workouts! Last year, we talked about fitness inspiration and the destructive energy I used to attach to fitspo and why I think I never really kept up with a fitness routine. For me, the energy and the attitude that is behind anything I do is HUGE. I am at the point where I chose, if something doesn't vibe right with me, I'm just not doing it. I would DREAD doing the things...

Mask Monday: Peter Thomas Roth Cucumber Gel Mask

It is that wonderful time again where my skin is acting all the way out of control. This time it could be my horrible quarantine diet, stress, hormones, my 2-year-old touching God knows what then rubbing my face...the list of possibilities is endless. To combat that I'm going in the Mix, Mask & Hydrate 6 piece kit from Peter Thomas Roth that we got at an incredible value price. Today, I am tapping into the Cucumber Gel Mask. It is an Extreme Detoxifying Hydration mask that is instantly refreshing (I keep mine in the refrigerator), cooling, and a moisturizing calming gel that helps soothe dry irritated skin. I've used this mask before, and know that it works wonders on my sometimes overly sensitive skin combination skin. I feel like my skin issues are coming from clogged pores and stress, so the detoxifying bit will really help me get to the smooth skin I just know exists underneath all this drama. So, to start off I like to use a gentle cleanser to get any make...

Vegas for Christmas

When we think of a holiday vacation, we don't really put Vegas and Christmas together in one sentence unless it also involves a Batchelor party. I'm here to challenge that with 3 reasons you should hit Vegas for the holidays that DON'T include the partying, gambling, drinking, and year-round Vegas events. HOLIDAY FEAST There are very few places in the world you can hop around a 3-mile area and have a meal from celebrity chefs and world-class foodie favorites. Not to even mention what feels like "regular" to locals, but is still a top reason thousands flock to the city regardless of the season: ALL YOU CAN EAT BUFFETS! For the holidays we go all out and tend to have a price tag to match, but a staple in inexpensive and AMAZING is Ellis Island. Just trust me. Your hotel's cafe will also have reasonable prices! Here's a short list of "OMG you've gotta eat here" on Christmas Night: THE BUFFET AT ARIA - $53.99 for all you can eat, endl...

My Netflix Obsession: Chilling Adventures of Sabrina

I am loving that Netflix has original movies and series! Right now I am all caught up in The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina and am very impatiently waiting for the release info on seasons 3 and 4! Let's talk all about why this is SUCH a binge-able flick and YOU should be just as excited to catch up! So, I went into CAOS without even knowing what I was getting myself into. I thought it was a Sabrina the Teenage witch via Melissa Joan Heart spin off/reboot/remake situation...I had NO idea Archie Comics had an entire dark world that spawned my childhood fave...because I would have been obsessed YEARS ago. They took something that was sweet, innocent and wholesome, added the actual devil and a dash of sexy and I've been horrified through every episode! The series keeps all our Sabrina favorites, Sabrina herself, Harvey, Hilda and Zelda, and my always favorite Salem but with a twist and gives us some new favorites in the Weird Sisters, Ambrose Spellman and Nicholas Scratch....