Skip to main content

Let's Go Sailing: Cruising With a Toddler


Cruising with Carnival has become a yearly thing for my mom and I, and this year we extended the tradition a generation by bringing my 1-year-old with us. We went for a 4 day, Halloween cruise from Long Beach with 2 stops - Catalina Island and Ensenada, Baja California. Here's a rundown on going on a cruise with a toddler!

First off, we drove from Las Vegas all the way to the Long Beach Terminal so the first leg of our trip was a 4+ hour car ride. I made sure we were fully stocked for the ride over so we wouldn't have to make too many stops and make the ride any longer. Turns out we didn't need anything I packed for the ride because he slept for about 3 1/2 hours and was completely content with his tablet, a juice box, and some cheez-its when he woke up. 🤦🏾‍♀️🤷🏾‍♀️

We decided to check our bags instead of dragging them through the ship because we just knew we wanted to grab some food and explore before going back to the room. That means we had to have everything we could need on us.  Here's what I packed into our carry on/diaper bag:

Checking in with Carnival is super easy. They make dropping your checked bags off a breeze, they give you a specific time to show up so there is virtually no wait, you walk in, get scanned through security and start your vacation. It's amazing! We just went through a 4 1/2 hour car ride so I was NOT feeling like I looked my best, but I still opted for every single photo op. They give you every opportunity to take photos to remember your vacation, and since this was baby's first cruise we took every pic (but we didn't buy all of them). But you DO NOT have to stop at all if you don't want to.

I've never had photos taken with my tiny before so he didn't really understand the concept of "look at the camera" while there was a giant character next to him...or at all ever! So maybe do some practicing with your toddlers if you are looking to get those perfect staged photo opportunities they will have all over the ship. We managed to make out pretty well on Elegant wear night...but that's about it!


Food was the scariest part when planning for this cruise, as my kid is a picky eater. He eats what he wants when he wants and that's that on that! Luckily, we were able to bring some snacks onboard that we know he likes and will eat like cheez-its, fruit cups, crackers, rice cereal, and we bought the bottled water pack to be delivered to our stateroom. The first day was a little difficult to figure out what my 1-year-old would eat from the buffet, but found that the 24-hour pizza was an easy favorite for him. We finally made it to our "reserved" dinner the 2nd or 3rd night and learned they have a whole menu for kids! They had nuggets, hot dogs, burgers, cookies, ice cream EVERYTHING he could want. We were set from there. On our excursion days, I would order a box of cereal to be delivered to our stateroom to take with us, or just fill our to-go bowl with dry cereal from the morning buffet for a snack while we were out. They really have everything you could need though as far as food goes, the buffet had a full spread of fruits and veggies if you're health-conscious and all the burgers, burritos and pizza you could want if you're not. They also did a Dr. Seuss breakfast one day where the staff dressed up as characters and they had Cat in the Hat there too! This was $5 a person and we didn't make that. For me, the only thing I need to make me a happy camper is a good cup of coffee...which I did NOT find on the ship. 😭 They have coffee for free all day long in the buffet and a cute coffee shop near the casino and clubs on our ship but they all had the same coffee.

Our sleeping arrangements were not at all what we expected. The 2 twin beds that were usually in the room were pushed together to make one bed, then a small cot type bed was underneath that we could pull out and put together or leave under there for space. We were all so tired when we got back to our room every night it didn't even matter what we slept on as long as there were blankets! But we ASKED for a pack-and-play and were told there would be a 3rd bed in the room the same size as the other 2. It definitely wasn't, but we made it work. Our housekeeping was AMAZING and managed to put the mess we made trying to figure it all out back together every single day. He even gave us his number so we could call him if we needed anything through our trip (I'm sure EVERY housekeeper makes their info available, but he made us feel super special).

Their kid section that's called CAMP OCEAN was only for kids 2 and over and my young man was only 21 months at the time of the cruise so he didn't get to experience all of the fun of being in there with a bunch of kids his age, but they did give him time almost every day for an hour or 2 to come in and play with the toys and run around in the space. We were still able to attend all of the family activities like arts and crafts, trick or treating, and the Halloween party we just couldn't leave him to hang out with everyone without us whenever we wanted. You can still leave your child with them for the "Night Owls" program for a fee.

The excursions were amazing! I thought it was going to be hard bringing him with me out and about somewhere unfamiliar but it was SO easy. Our first day off the ship was on Catalina Island. I looked up the weather ahead of time and it said it was going to be in the low 60's so I thought it was going to be cold...but it was actually perfect weather to jump in and feel the ocean if you wanted! We brought his umbrella stroller, diaper bag and were good to go. We walked up and down the shopping strip right next to the dock, took lots of pics, had a coffee and eventually had my tiny knock all the way out. All in all, it was a beautiful success.

The next excursion day was in Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico. I absolutely love this place. We took the trip that took us down to the bufadora (blowhole) and then to the cultural center. The road on the way to the Bufadora is full of small shops that are selling absolutely EVERYTHING! I've made it a tradition to pick up a skull/skeleton made out of some kind of bone...the first time I got one they said it was cow bone and this time they said it was fishbone and they both look and feel exactly the same,  so I have absolutely NO idea. My favorite thing here is the churros, tequila tasting in Habana Banana, and the young wild animals they have. I couldn't remember if the bus had enough room to bring the stroller or if it would be easy to push down the road so I opted to babywear instead and it was another all-around success. The Bufadora was super far from where the ship was maybe about an hour, so our Amazon Fire with pre-downloaded apps and movies kept my tiny fully entertained along the way.


Our day at sea was on Halloween. We happily slept in as long as we could, grabbed some brunch (pizza) and watched Hotel Transylvania 3 before getting dressed up and ready for trick-or-treating and a kid-friendly Halloween party!  My young Jack Skellington ended up winning the best-dressed baby boy! With an award fitting the Pumpkin King himself, they gave him a super cute pumpkin trophy...that he broke 12 seconds later.


All in all, I 100% recommend cruising with your toddlers, especially on Carnival Cruise. They are very very accommodating to the needs of their guests, they will keep you well-fed and properly entertained your entire trip. I recommend getting the soda package because they only offer coffee (NOT DELICIOUS), lemonade and water. I got bored of that by the first day and was BEGGING for something different. I think with the soda package you get soda and juice with it. I opted to pack a piece of regular medium size luggage for him instead of trying to share one large one since they have weight requirements per person for luggage. I stuck everything from a pack of diapers, an extra pack of wipes, bath towels, blankets and his whole wardrobe in there. We didn't end up needing the bath towels or extra blankets because he had no skin issues with the ones provided by the ship.

Are you planning a trip with your little and have questions that I didn't cover here? Send me an email to Contact@NikkiOnVegas.com or leave me a comment down below!

Comment - Share - Subscribe
🖤Nikki

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Throw Back: That one time I competed in a pageant

Once upon a time, what seems like a long time ago I decided I wanted to be a beauty queen. It was definitely an experience I will never forget and I finally have the chance to tell you all about it! I've always known that I wanted to help people in some way, and one day it dawned on me if I had a crown that would definitely give me a much louder voice to speak on issues I thought were important. So, I went searching for what I thought was the best pageant for me and I landed on Miss Nevada USA 2016. The only thing I knew about pageants at this point was from the Miss Congeniality movie and what I heard about from my cousin's social media pages. So from that, I thought it was going to be a breeze...PSYCH! It was probably the most grueling process of self-discovery I've ever put myself through. My first step was figuring out how much all of this was going to cost. For me, it was a ridiculous amount that I just wasn't going to be able to make at my day job in...

Vegas Bound: Halloween Week 2019

I love every reason to let my inner spook out, so the ENTIRE month of October is an all-out celebration for me! If you're here, you must be getting ready to spend your Halloween in Las Vegas and I could NOT be more excited for you. Whether you are a Las Vegas Local, or here for the weekend, Las Vegas is one of the most amazing places in the world for entertainment, and to take a nice relaxing (or turnt) vacation. As much as Vegas has the reputation to be an Adults only trip, we have tons of spooktacular events for the whole family to enjoy. If you are heading to Las Vegas to celebrate Halloween, check out the hotel rooms available from my team. We can get rates up to 30% lower than nationally advertised rates all year round, even on national holidays. And when you book with me, you get the option of having me personally help you plan out your vacation specifics and help to manage any last-minute emergencies. A few tips if you are coming through for the costume contests. V...

Streaming: Disney and Pixar's 'Onward'

Disney+ dropped some blessings for us during this quarantine and I am so grateful! Since Social Distancing made it hard for us to safely go see 'Onward' in theatres when it came out last month, Disney and Pixar gave us a quarantine present and dropped it for us to stream from home WAY earlier than expected on Disney+! With 50 Million or more of us holding on tightly to our Disney+ subscriptions, let's all watch this one with or without the kids. IMDB “While we’re looking forward to audiences enjoying our films on the big screen again soon, given the current circumstances, we are pleased to release this fun, adventurous film to digital platforms early for audiences to enjoy from the comfort of their homes,” said Dan Scanlon (Director, “Onward”) and Kori Rae (Producer, “Onward”).¹ We've been socially distancing in my household for a bit longer than nationally directed, so we weren't able to see this in theaters. I play a cute Disney game with my son, ...

Safety 101: 5 Tips for Solo Travel to Las Vegas

Getting your whole crew together to come party with you in Vegas can be a challenge! Everyone has a reason to miss out on this trip, whether it's budget, timing, childcare, etc. Sometimes, you have to just catch a flight and take a vacation by yourself! This can be the best time you've ever had, but you have more safety concerns when you're solo than when you're with a crew. Here are some safety tips to keep in mind on your next solo outing in Las Vegas. Stay In Public Areas Las Vegas is among the most popular tourist destinations in America. We do everything we can to make sure your stay is safe, and you feel secure. You can't get into the hotel elevators at most resorts unless you have a room key, Las Vegas Blvd (the Strip) and the Fremont Street Experience are lined with on-duty police officers, and each hotel has their own trained security staff ready to aid any situation (even labor!). Some of our best venues are off the strip. For this, I recommend taking...

4 Week Fitness: Week 3

Welcome to week 3! We are at the halfway mark and moving past it with a FORCE ! We've got this far and we owe it to ourselves to push through and finish these last 2 weeks. I am already SO PROUD OF US ! Now is the time to lock in our rewards. Whether you are coming to party with me in Vegas for the opening of Encore Beach Club or splurging at your favorite local spot for a stay-cation, do it BIG ! You have earned it . This is a mirror of week 1. I think it's important for our bodies to get at least a little comfortable with the movements we are doing so that we can get the most out of these workouts! Last year, we talked about fitness inspiration and the destructive energy I used to attach to fitspo and why I think I never really kept up with a fitness routine. For me, the energy and the attitude that is behind anything I do is HUGE. I am at the point where I chose, if something doesn't vibe right with me, I'm just not doing it. I would DREAD doing the things...

Sphynx: For The Girl On The Go

This year's Travel Goods Association 's Travel Goods Show '19 has introduced me to so many of my current favorite products! Today, we are talking about the Sphynx razor that you can use for hair removal ANYWHERE! Living in the desert makes shorts, sundresses, tank tops, surprise photo shoots and pool days a part of everyday life. Unfortunately, running around chasing a 1-year-old and taking care of everyone's vacations makes hair removal one of the last things on my to-do list! Lucky for me, I received a goodie bag from the Travel Goods Association at this year's Travel Goods Show that gave me my latest secret weapon! The Sphynx Portable Razor ! I keep this beauty in my bag at all times and it has already saved me from having to miss out on a pool day and the embarrassment of missing a spot trying to rush when wearing one of my favorite dresses. Here's how it works. This little beauty here has everything you need for a shave - a small squirt bottle ...

Now Streaming: 'Legacies' on Netflix Seasons 1 and 2

I love a good supernatural drama series. I was all in on the 'Vampire Diaries' for a while, and when the 'Originals' came in with what felt like a more "grown-up" storyline from the beginning, I was instantly HOOKED! It had everything I needed in a supernatural drama, but when that ended I was left in a show hole. How do you even follow up on that epic storyline, but thank the bright minds at CW they made it happen with 'Legacies'. With 'Legacies', we are tuning in to the life of Hope Mikaelson after the loss of her parents at The Salvatore School for the Young and Gifted ran by Alaric Saltzman who is firmly seated in our hearts from 'Vampire Diaries'. Alaric is the headmaster of the Salvatore School and is looking after his twin daughters who are the last living members of the Gemini Coven. This is exactly the drama series I needed to check into during this quarantine. The Salvatore School is home to the witch, werewolf and vampire ...

Mask Monday: Peter Thomas Roth Cucumber Gel Mask

It is that wonderful time again where my skin is acting all the way out of control. This time it could be my horrible quarantine diet, stress, hormones, my 2-year-old touching God knows what then rubbing my face...the list of possibilities is endless. To combat that I'm going in the Mix, Mask & Hydrate 6 piece kit from Peter Thomas Roth that we got at an incredible value price. Today, I am tapping into the Cucumber Gel Mask. It is an Extreme Detoxifying Hydration mask that is instantly refreshing (I keep mine in the refrigerator), cooling, and a moisturizing calming gel that helps soothe dry irritated skin. I've used this mask before, and know that it works wonders on my sometimes overly sensitive skin combination skin. I feel like my skin issues are coming from clogged pores and stress, so the detoxifying bit will really help me get to the smooth skin I just know exists underneath all this drama. So, to start off I like to use a gentle cleanser to get any make...

Vegas for Christmas

When we think of a holiday vacation, we don't really put Vegas and Christmas together in one sentence unless it also involves a Batchelor party. I'm here to challenge that with 3 reasons you should hit Vegas for the holidays that DON'T include the partying, gambling, drinking, and year-round Vegas events. HOLIDAY FEAST There are very few places in the world you can hop around a 3-mile area and have a meal from celebrity chefs and world-class foodie favorites. Not to even mention what feels like "regular" to locals, but is still a top reason thousands flock to the city regardless of the season: ALL YOU CAN EAT BUFFETS! For the holidays we go all out and tend to have a price tag to match, but a staple in inexpensive and AMAZING is Ellis Island. Just trust me. Your hotel's cafe will also have reasonable prices! Here's a short list of "OMG you've gotta eat here" on Christmas Night: THE BUFFET AT ARIA - $53.99 for all you can eat, endl...

Earning The Crown - Ms. Nevada Regency International 2020

Winning a state title is a surreal moment. When they put that crown on my head and I did my celebratory walk, all I could think was that I still could NOT believe it. If you would have told me 30 days before, that I would not only be competing in a state pageant but WINNING one, I would not have believed you. Let me tell you how I got here. A few years ago, I did a little soul searching and found that for me to really be happy I needed to be spending my time in service to my community and making a positive impact on someone else's life even if that just meant an extra smile in their day. I started doing some googling to see what my options were and eventually came upon a state pageant I thought was the right fit for me! So, I went around campaigning and raising funds to get the coaching I needed and compete. Pageant week came around and I lost big time! I wasn't fortunate enough to place in that pageant at all, but I did win Best In Evening Gown so I was really proud of t...