Skip to main content

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Black Lives Matter and Multi-skin toned Fists up in protest

Someone asked me how I was doing, and that was the first time I took a moment to reflect on how I was actually feeling outside of complete outrage. 
It's unbelievable to me that Black lives are still being lost at the hands that are meant to protect and serve us, without cause, and in most cases without punishment deserving of the crime. Then those officers are protected and shielded from any punishment by the same institution that systematically oppresses Black people. The duty to Protect and Serve that should be upheld by all officers does not count when it comes to Black people. The unjust murders of Eric Garner, Michael Brown, Philando Castile, Tamir Rice, Freddie Gray, and now George Floyd (along with countless others) stand to tell the truth about America: that racism is alive, well, and firmly seated at the table. So much so, that when you protest racism and oppressive culture, "red - white - and blue-blooded" American's feel like you are protesting America. And I'm tired.
I still remember when Charles Kinsley was shot. I was crying, broken, and in disbelief that a man laying on the ground with his hands up could STILL be shot by a police officer. That his skin color, the same as mine, gave the officer a reason to shoot him and then leave him handcuffed and bleeding on the ground for 20 minutes before allowing him medical aid. That officer, by the way, was retired, not fired, went to trial years later, and was found not guilty. I remember begging and explaining to friends, coworkers, and anyone who would listen that there was a deep-rooted problem. Using every bit of my ability to be empathetic and compassionate to explain that Colin Kaepernick wasn't protesting America or the Military with his knee - but the continued criminalization and control of the Black community with excessive force as respectfully as possible. And I'm tired. Here in Las Vegas, Byron Williams's death was ruled a homicide while in LVMPD custody 8 months ago. The investigation is still "ongoing". All officers were placed on paid leave and are all back on the force right now "serving" our community and facing off with protesters who are marching on behalf of their actions. No charges. No trial. Nothing. All officers involved turned off their body cams at the same time for 7 minutes, and the footage they did record has not been released. We've seen some edited footage of him laying on the ground with a knee in his back, handcuffed while visually complying with the arrest, repeating that he could not breathe. This should feel personal to all Americans, especially here in Las Vegas. This should not happen, this cannot continue to go unpunished and I'm so tired of asking for Black people to be treated fairly and for justice to be served.

As we see through many U.S. cities, a lot of us are tired of asking, begging, pleading, and trying to compromise for a system that was never set up to serve and protect us, and the institutionalized racism we face in this country. Black people are being murdered and brutalized by police and vigilantes. Then those murderers are protected by interoffice protocol, powerful unions, and silence orders. Enough is enough, and I am done asking. We need action, we need change, and we need it now.

Black Lives Matter is not meant to silence the importance of any other life. Black Lives Matter is not something you put in your Twitter bio to prove to the world you're not a racist. Black Lives Matter is not something you repeat to your Black friends to make them feel better and call that your activism for the day. Black Lives Matter isn't putting Black lives before all others. It's the recognition that Black lives have a proven history of being worth much less (legally 3/5ths of a person) and to this day are being stolen by an unjust criminal justice system starting with our Officers. Black Lives Matter is a call to action. Black Lives Matter is a commitment to challenge racism every time. Black Lives Matter is the defense of Black lives that are being lost at the hands of racists, police, and vigilantes. Black Lives Matter.

Silence to me is compliance. Needing to "protect your peace from all the drama" is a luxury that Black Lives do not have. Keeping your business out of "political conversations" is choosing comfort for the sake of financial gain, and this is not about politics - this is about Black Lives. All Lives Matter is an attempt to dismiss the institutionalized and structural oppression unique to Black people and racism in this country. We can not sit back and allow this to continue, and anything short of action, continuing to have those difficult conversations, and forcing our elected officials to reflect the change we need is not enough. We need to continue to have those conversations, and we need to take action. We need it now.

Here are some resources in the local area to stay in the conversation and get involved in the action:

There's Nothing To Do In Vegas Instagram: This a favorite local resource for events and news and has currently become a HUB for conversations and city-wide activism.

Go Urban Vegas: This Facebook page is a wonderful resource for Black Businesses in Las Vegas to support as well as upcoming events to take note of. 

Black Lives Matter UNLV: Sharing constant information on Local Events and resources and ways you can get involved. 

You do not have to go to a protest to continue the movement. Stay informed, continue to have difficult conversations, and donate where and when you can. We need every single person. You matter to this movement.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comments

  1. I am outraged at what I have seen-let's see if we can come up with some suggestions for solutions. I feel that every single officer should wear a camera that is filming from the time that officer steps out for the car. Any time that there is what may be perceived as unnecessary roughness or violence a panel which would not only consist of law enforcement, the DA, etc., but equal voices from the community (which now should include members of BLM). It should not take a death before action is taken. I would like to see some ideas for solutions. (And I do recognize that when a person is high on PCP or other drugs that it may take extraordinary means to protect society and the patient and some guide lines may need to be established).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. I really appreciate you taking the time to interact with me. I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Popular posts from this blog

Throw Back: That one time I competed in a pageant

Once upon a time, what seems like a long time ago I decided I wanted to be a beauty queen. It was definitely an experience I will never forget and I finally have the chance to tell you all about it! I've always known that I wanted to help people in some way, and one day it dawned on me if I had a crown that would definitely give me a much louder voice to speak on issues I thought were important. So, I went searching for what I thought was the best pageant for me and I landed on Miss Nevada USA 2016. The only thing I knew about pageants at this point was from the Miss Congeniality movie and what I heard about from my cousin's social media pages. So from that, I thought it was going to be a breeze...PSYCH! It was probably the most grueling process of self-discovery I've ever put myself through. My first step was figuring out how much all of this was going to cost. For me, it was a ridiculous amount that I just wasn't going to be able to make at my day job in...

Vegas Bound: Halloween Week 2019

I love every reason to let my inner spook out, so the ENTIRE month of October is an all-out celebration for me! If you're here, you must be getting ready to spend your Halloween in Las Vegas and I could NOT be more excited for you. Whether you are a Las Vegas Local, or here for the weekend, Las Vegas is one of the most amazing places in the world for entertainment, and to take a nice relaxing (or turnt) vacation. As much as Vegas has the reputation to be an Adults only trip, we have tons of spooktacular events for the whole family to enjoy. If you are heading to Las Vegas to celebrate Halloween, check out the hotel rooms available from my team. We can get rates up to 30% lower than nationally advertised rates all year round, even on national holidays. And when you book with me, you get the option of having me personally help you plan out your vacation specifics and help to manage any last-minute emergencies. A few tips if you are coming through for the costume contests. V...

Streaming: Disney and Pixar's 'Onward'

Disney+ dropped some blessings for us during this quarantine and I am so grateful! Since Social Distancing made it hard for us to safely go see 'Onward' in theatres when it came out last month, Disney and Pixar gave us a quarantine present and dropped it for us to stream from home WAY earlier than expected on Disney+! With 50 Million or more of us holding on tightly to our Disney+ subscriptions, let's all watch this one with or without the kids. IMDB “While we’re looking forward to audiences enjoying our films on the big screen again soon, given the current circumstances, we are pleased to release this fun, adventurous film to digital platforms early for audiences to enjoy from the comfort of their homes,” said Dan Scanlon (Director, “Onward”) and Kori Rae (Producer, “Onward”).¹ We've been socially distancing in my household for a bit longer than nationally directed, so we weren't able to see this in theaters. I play a cute Disney game with my son, ...

Safety 101: 5 Tips for Solo Travel to Las Vegas

Getting your whole crew together to come party with you in Vegas can be a challenge! Everyone has a reason to miss out on this trip, whether it's budget, timing, childcare, etc. Sometimes, you have to just catch a flight and take a vacation by yourself! This can be the best time you've ever had, but you have more safety concerns when you're solo than when you're with a crew. Here are some safety tips to keep in mind on your next solo outing in Las Vegas. Stay In Public Areas Las Vegas is among the most popular tourist destinations in America. We do everything we can to make sure your stay is safe, and you feel secure. You can't get into the hotel elevators at most resorts unless you have a room key, Las Vegas Blvd (the Strip) and the Fremont Street Experience are lined with on-duty police officers, and each hotel has their own trained security staff ready to aid any situation (even labor!). Some of our best venues are off the strip. For this, I recommend taking...

Sphynx: For The Girl On The Go

This year's Travel Goods Association 's Travel Goods Show '19 has introduced me to so many of my current favorite products! Today, we are talking about the Sphynx razor that you can use for hair removal ANYWHERE! Living in the desert makes shorts, sundresses, tank tops, surprise photo shoots and pool days a part of everyday life. Unfortunately, running around chasing a 1-year-old and taking care of everyone's vacations makes hair removal one of the last things on my to-do list! Lucky for me, I received a goodie bag from the Travel Goods Association at this year's Travel Goods Show that gave me my latest secret weapon! The Sphynx Portable Razor ! I keep this beauty in my bag at all times and it has already saved me from having to miss out on a pool day and the embarrassment of missing a spot trying to rush when wearing one of my favorite dresses. Here's how it works. This little beauty here has everything you need for a shave - a small squirt bottle ...

Now Streaming: 'Legacies' on Netflix Seasons 1 and 2

I love a good supernatural drama series. I was all in on the 'Vampire Diaries' for a while, and when the 'Originals' came in with what felt like a more "grown-up" storyline from the beginning, I was instantly HOOKED! It had everything I needed in a supernatural drama, but when that ended I was left in a show hole. How do you even follow up on that epic storyline, but thank the bright minds at CW they made it happen with 'Legacies'. With 'Legacies', we are tuning in to the life of Hope Mikaelson after the loss of her parents at The Salvatore School for the Young and Gifted ran by Alaric Saltzman who is firmly seated in our hearts from 'Vampire Diaries'. Alaric is the headmaster of the Salvatore School and is looking after his twin daughters who are the last living members of the Gemini Coven. This is exactly the drama series I needed to check into during this quarantine. The Salvatore School is home to the witch, werewolf and vampire ...

4 Week Fitness: Week 3

Welcome to week 3! We are at the halfway mark and moving past it with a FORCE ! We've got this far and we owe it to ourselves to push through and finish these last 2 weeks. I am already SO PROUD OF US ! Now is the time to lock in our rewards. Whether you are coming to party with me in Vegas for the opening of Encore Beach Club or splurging at your favorite local spot for a stay-cation, do it BIG ! You have earned it . This is a mirror of week 1. I think it's important for our bodies to get at least a little comfortable with the movements we are doing so that we can get the most out of these workouts! Last year, we talked about fitness inspiration and the destructive energy I used to attach to fitspo and why I think I never really kept up with a fitness routine. For me, the energy and the attitude that is behind anything I do is HUGE. I am at the point where I chose, if something doesn't vibe right with me, I'm just not doing it. I would DREAD doing the things...

Mask Monday: Peter Thomas Roth Cucumber Gel Mask

It is that wonderful time again where my skin is acting all the way out of control. This time it could be my horrible quarantine diet, stress, hormones, my 2-year-old touching God knows what then rubbing my face...the list of possibilities is endless. To combat that I'm going in the Mix, Mask & Hydrate 6 piece kit from Peter Thomas Roth that we got at an incredible value price. Today, I am tapping into the Cucumber Gel Mask. It is an Extreme Detoxifying Hydration mask that is instantly refreshing (I keep mine in the refrigerator), cooling, and a moisturizing calming gel that helps soothe dry irritated skin. I've used this mask before, and know that it works wonders on my sometimes overly sensitive skin combination skin. I feel like my skin issues are coming from clogged pores and stress, so the detoxifying bit will really help me get to the smooth skin I just know exists underneath all this drama. So, to start off I like to use a gentle cleanser to get any make...

Vegas for Christmas

When we think of a holiday vacation, we don't really put Vegas and Christmas together in one sentence unless it also involves a Batchelor party. I'm here to challenge that with 3 reasons you should hit Vegas for the holidays that DON'T include the partying, gambling, drinking, and year-round Vegas events. HOLIDAY FEAST There are very few places in the world you can hop around a 3-mile area and have a meal from celebrity chefs and world-class foodie favorites. Not to even mention what feels like "regular" to locals, but is still a top reason thousands flock to the city regardless of the season: ALL YOU CAN EAT BUFFETS! For the holidays we go all out and tend to have a price tag to match, but a staple in inexpensive and AMAZING is Ellis Island. Just trust me. Your hotel's cafe will also have reasonable prices! Here's a short list of "OMG you've gotta eat here" on Christmas Night: THE BUFFET AT ARIA - $53.99 for all you can eat, endl...

My Netflix Obsession: Chilling Adventures of Sabrina

I am loving that Netflix has original movies and series! Right now I am all caught up in The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina and am very impatiently waiting for the release info on seasons 3 and 4! Let's talk all about why this is SUCH a binge-able flick and YOU should be just as excited to catch up! So, I went into CAOS without even knowing what I was getting myself into. I thought it was a Sabrina the Teenage witch via Melissa Joan Heart spin off/reboot/remake situation...I had NO idea Archie Comics had an entire dark world that spawned my childhood fave...because I would have been obsessed YEARS ago. They took something that was sweet, innocent and wholesome, added the actual devil and a dash of sexy and I've been horrified through every episode! The series keeps all our Sabrina favorites, Sabrina herself, Harvey, Hilda and Zelda, and my always favorite Salem but with a twist and gives us some new favorites in the Weird Sisters, Ambrose Spellman and Nicholas Scratch....